Sunday, November 28, 2010

What Carrie Bradshaw made me do

Where to begin?

I cannot begin to tell you how much I owe Carrie Bradshaw for this blog. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have the guts to come out of my shell and do the things I love. True, I've always been and always am inspired by a lot of things. But it was her, it was really her that made me do this.

It was September 3 of this year, a week before my birthday, and I just put down the current book that I was reading, The Carrie Diaries. It is the book before the whole Sex and the City started, kind of like a prequel. Carrie Bradshaw was still a senior in high school, coping and getting by just how teenagers should be. And I guess the reason why the whole Sex and the City franchise never appealed to me is because it wasn't for my age group. It was for independent, stylish, and confident 20-something women. I was just an eighteen-year old girl.

But much like everyone else, Carrie Bradshaw was a teenager too. She has experienced what every teenager should experience/is experiencing. Insecurities, lack of confidence, girl friend problems, and of course, boy dramas. And I guess along the way, it was what made Carrie Bradshaw who she is. She wasn't immediately the Carrie Bradshaw that we look up to right now. She was still raw with lots of potential but still lacked experience. But, she knew what she wanted to be, and she didn't let anyone tell her that. And that was something.

My birthday was coming up, and I was about to turn nineteen. At the time I was reading the book, I was wondering what I could do for the last teen year of my life that I will remember forever. So that when I look back, I could be proud of something I did when I was younger. I could tell the world that I didn't miss the chance to do what I love to do. And that's when Carrie Bradshaw enters my life. I put down the book, and I knew what I had to do.

I wanted to be like her. I guess it doesn't matter what I will do. But like her, I wanted to write. What matters was that I would remain confident, independent, and stylish while doing it. And then I thought about the women of this city I see everyday. They are all Carrie Bradshaws in their own ways. And I wish other people would see that too.

I've learned a lot of things from her, both fashion-related and not. But what I would always bear in mind whenever I think of her is her character. No pun intended. She's just confident, and treats everyday as an adventure. She's fearless. She's never afraid to try new things. She's got character. She has grown. She grows. And that was how I imagined a true mazuona to be like.

And good lord, she dresses up good! Even without speaking, her character is reflected with how she wears her clothes. But forget the clothes, the shoes, the make up, the labels, and the prices. I think that if she dresses up in the most plain clothes without makeup, her character would still shine through. Why? It's her confidence.

And that my dear ladies, will never go out of style. It will forever be the greatest accessory of a woman. :-)


So, get out there and try out something new. Do something that you've been wanting to do since forever, but never got around to doing it. Try a new hobby. Get lost, and find your way back. Abu Dhabi is such a great place to try out new stuff. Go somewhere that you haven't been to before. Ditch the mall and head over to the shops by the streets, and you'll be surprised how style can be easily found everywhere.

Each day is an adventure, another opportunity to do stuff and to dress up. Be bold and beautiful. Don't hold anything back.

And no matter what happens, just be you. Not Carrie Bradshaw. Not anyone else. Just you. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment