Thursday, November 11, 2010

True Identity



I took this photo of Tagy a few weeks back when this blog was still in the making. We were in a park near their house in the Tourist Club Area. It was a good day, and the sun was out. So, we decided to have a mini-shoot.

The hijab or the head wrap, represents a woman's respect and undying devotion to Islam. As I have learned from my Islamic Culture class, a Muslim woman must cover her awra, which means secret place or something sacred. A woman's awra is her whole body, except for her face, hands, and feet. Therefore, she must wear decent clothing to cover those parts at all times, except when she's at home.

In Abu Dhabi, you will see a lot of women still abiding by this tradition. And I guess, it is what marks them for who they are. It has become their identity. But traditional as it is, some of them found ways to keep the tradition while still looking modern.

Tagy is one example of many women who found a way to bend this tradition a little bit. Instead of wearing the traditional abaya, she wore a sleeveless top above a black, long-sleeved shirt, and black pants. A lot of young women wear something similar to this. Their inner shirt would usually match their hijab. And instead of jeans or pants, they would wear long skirts or maxi dresses.

Here are some shots I took of Tagy that day. And yes, they have to be in black and white. ;-) I would probably say that these photos are one of my favorites, and that they would definitely go in my portfolio!


Oh, don't think I've forgotten again! Happy Birthday, Tagy! Hope you have a good one! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment