Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pulp Fashion

Who would have thought that paper can be used to create these amazing dresses?



Three of Isabelle's lovely creations

Well, Isabelle de Borchgrave definitely thought about that. A lot. Last April 4, Isabelle had a lecture about her amazing paper dresses entitled, Pulp Fashion, at Al Maamoura Auditorium. It was a full 2 hours worth of inspiration and information about how these paper dresses were done. And we will be forever thankful to Isabelle for opening our eyes and hearts to the vast possibilities that the world of fashion is offering us.

Isabelle painted this fabric to give it a lace effect

Matching shoes!




You are not hallucinating. It's really paper!



I attended the event with my KIC Fashion Department family, particularly with my Fashion Styling and Merchandising classmates, along with our professors, Mr. Samer and Ms. Rakhi Gupta.

KIC Fashion Design Department with Isabelle de Borchgrave
(L-R: Mercy Lamosi, Ms. Rakhi Gupta, Isabelle de Borchgrave, Mr. Samer, Khaled Al Jenaibi, Lama Edris, Hala Edris, Fatima Ezzahra)
Me with Isabelle de Borchgrave

One more thing that Isabelle said that I won't ever forget was this:

"You need passion. Passion, passion, passion! Once you're in the world of art or fashion, it's hard to escape. Whatever happens, you will always come back."

And I believe in that so much. She is actually not a fashion designer. She's an artist who uses her creativity to create these one of a kind paper dresses. So, to hear that from someone who has achieved so much in the industry, is really refreshing. I wish I could meet her again.

The evening ended well with the delicious dinner that One to One Hotel prepared for the guests. I guess I was too hungry that I wasn't able to take photos of the food. :-) This event was also a good opportunity for socialization. We met a lot of really cool people who are also fashion enthusiasts in Abu Dhabi. 

Bumped into Wella! The first reader that I've met. Thank you! :-)

Mercy and I with our new found friend, Khawla! :-) She's one of the coolest girls I've met. :-) 

It was nice seeing everyone. I hope to bump into you guys soon! Let's all meet at the next fashion event, yes?:-) We're almost halfway into the year, but fashion events are just starting. So be sure to catch them!

2 comments: